Social Media Manager
Company: Inside Higher Ed
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Social Media ManagerDate: February 3, 2021Title: Social Media
ManagerDescription: The Social Media Manager oversees the
operational planning, establishment, execution and evaluation of
ongoing and sustainable social media communications. The manager
produces relevant content for various social media sites for
targeted audiences and provides leadership to staff and students
who contribute content. The Social Media Manager ensures that all
online venues are updated and maintained consistently to maintain
the College's positive online presence. The manager educates and
trains the Hartwick community on proper use of social media and
online communications and serves as the subject matter expert on
social media.The Social Media Manager is responsible for the
day-to-day operation of Hartwick's various social media profiles.
In addition to monitoring and responding to posts, comments,
messages, etc., this individual will be tasked with the creation of
engaging multimedia content that will represent the College's brand
and promote participation and involvement. This position will
require an in-depth awareness of activities on campus to both
promote and cover various events.Responsibilities
- With oversight from the Director of Digital Communications,
builds and manages Hartwick's social media profiles and presence,
including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other social
- Manages and creates daily content and updates content calendars
for all social channels while maintaining brand consistency.
- Monitors, listens and engages in social media discussions about
Hartwick, and moderates as needed.
- Connects with colleagues across campus to discover social media
content and create subsequent still and moving images.
- Is available for evening and weekend work to capture campus
life and beyond. o Completes other duties, as assigned.
- With assistance and direction from the Director of Digital
Communications, manages paid social and digital advertising
- Develop Messaging and Content that:
- Increases engagement and builds conversations around the
College and our content with multiple audiences of prospective and
current students, alumni, faculty and staff, parents and families,
the media, government officials and others interested parties.
- Broadens Hartwick awareness by connecting audiences to content
that speaks to their needs, in channels where they are present and
- Motivates prospective students by highlighting Hartwick's
vibrant campus life, and using social media to support them through
- Galvanizes internal audiences by celebrating them on Hartwick
social media channels and creates alumni ambassadors by using
social media as a way to keep them connected.
- Implements social media strategy with appropriate metrics that
is part of the annual digital marketing plan for Hartwick College.
- Conveys ROI by showing engagement and referrals to the
- Evaluates social media analytics and generates reports to drive
continuous improvement, track growth and engagement
- With oversight from the Digital Communications
- Hires, supervises, mentors, and edits work of student interns
and/or student volunteers who will help produce content.
- Creates and manages the cross-campus social media user
- Develops and shares Social Media expertise
- Follows trends in social media to stay current on changes and
new approaches. Evaluates new platforms and determines viability
- Serves as a social media advisor for campus.
- Collaborate and Support Hartwick Departments, Key Stakeholders
and Initiatives with direction from Director of Digital
- Supports College-wide Crisis Communications via social media
platforms. o Collaborates with Enrollment Management and Marketing
colleagues to produce recruitment centric communications and
- Collaborates with College Advancement and Marketing colleagues
to produce donor and alumni centric communications and posts.
- Collaborates with colleagues to support FlightPath and related
- Participate in major campus events, including Welcome Weekend,
True Blue Weekend, and Commencement Weekend.
- Comply with all applicable College, Federal, State, local and
- As a representative of the College, expected to comport
themselves in a professional manner at all times, both on and off
campus. Qualifications: The minimum requirement for this position
is experience coordinating social media for commercial, industrial
and/or higher education entities. A bachelor's degree in a related
field from an accredited college or university is preferred, as is
experience working in digital and social media for higher education
and private industry. Experience working in complex organizations.
- Expert knowledge of established social media platforms
(Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn, etc.)
and emerging social media channels. An ability to engage a variety
of audiences. A strong understanding of Facebook's business and ad
- A strong understanding of the difference between organic and
paid social activity, and how to leverage them.
- Experience in capturing and making analytics actionable.
- Experience in social media paid advertising and beyond.
- Self-starter and creative, innovative thinker who can
contribute out-of-the-box ideas and strategies.
- Excellent writing and editing skills with an ability to adapt
voice and tone to varying audiences. Must show flexibility in
writing styles, including professional voice and creative approach
to social media content.
- Proven professional experience managing multiple social media
sites and communities for higher education, business, political or
other clients with measurable success.
- Exceptional communication skills, verbal, written and
- Strong skills in Adobe Photoshop.
- Basic web design experience with HTML and CSS.
- Experience working with WordPress.
- Strong photography skills with the ability to use DSLR
- Strong skills with shooting digital video and editing using
- WordPress and email campaign platforms All applicants are asked
to submit the following materials with their online applications:
- A cover letter;
- A resume;
- A Diversity Statement that addresses how your past and/or
potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick
College's Diversity Statement (); and
- The names and contact information for three references, with
annotation regarding how the reference is related to you and your
work (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or
previous supervisor). Applications may also be mailed to the Office
of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY
13820. Review of applications will continue until the position is
Keywords: Inside Higher Ed, Albany , Social Media Manager, Executive , Oneonta, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!