Medical Laboratory Technician
Company: IDEXX Laboratories, Inc
Posted on: January 16, 2020
What s in it for you?
Be on the ground floor of building and leading IDEXX's newest
Veterinary Reference Day Laboratory in Albany, NY. Are you a
clinically-trained MLT looking to use your skills in a whole new
way? Are you a Vet Tech looking to grow your career in laboratory
As a Medical Laboratory Technician at IDEXX, you will be a key
contributor at one of the largest veterinary diagnostic companies
in the world. You will perform laboratory testing that helps
veterinarians diagnose and treat pets across the United States. You
will join a fast-paced work environment that encourages teamwork
and quality, and offers opportunities for personal growth. This is
a full-time role with competitive benefits and shift
This is a full time (40 hr/wk), day shift position with hours
Monday-Friday 10:00am-6:30pm. Reliable and dependable attendance is
an essential function of the position. Adherence to
attendance-related policies and expectations is critical to this
What can you expect?
You will be using automated analyzers, microscopes and other
laboratory diagnostic tools to perform analyses and tests that
diagnose animal illnesses, injuries and diseases in support of
veterinarian animal treatment. You will be responsible for setting
up and running lab tests, and reading and releasing results
according to SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures). You can expect
to specialize in one or more of the following areas:
- Testing cell-related components of blood samples to enumerate and
identify their cellular components, including the microscopic
evaluation of blood smears and the use of automated and manual
- Analysis and evaluation of chemical and microscopic components of
urine samples, using automated instrumentation and manual
- Testing blood and body fluids for various analytes, utilizing
- Processing blood and body fluids for microscopic examination by
pathologists. Includes slide preparation and staining, utilizing
manual and automated counting techniques.
- Testing blood and other samples for the presence of viral and
bacterial disease by detecting antibodies (AB) or antigens
What do you need to succeed?
- High School Diploma or equivalent required, 2, 3 or 4 year degree
in Science-related field preferred.
- Certification as a Veterinary Technician (RVT, LVT, CVT -
Registered, Licensed or Certified through American Veterinary
Medical Association accredited program-AVMA) or Medical Laboratory
Technician (MLT) (American Society of Clinical Pathology-ASCP), or
military equivalent a plus.
- Typically 2-3+ years experience.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Laboratory skills, with experience setting up, running and
reading lab tests and operating lab instruments.
- General science background, including hematology/chemistry
- Attention to detail.
- Organized with ability to multi-task in a fast paced
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Knowledge of Good Clinical Practice (GCP) as appropriate.
- Supervisory skills, if a lead position.
- Personal computer skills, including strong typing ability and
proficient use of Microsoft Office.
- Extensive sitting, phone and computer use.
- Capable of standing continuously for up to 2 hours.
- Extend and reach with hands and arms and use hands and
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or
- May be required to lift, move and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color
vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Hearing acuity sufficient to effectively communicate with
customers and Employees via telephone and in person.
- Ability to communicate verbally on phone and in person.
- Fluency in the English language.
- Extended hours may be required.
- Some travel required.
- Laboratory environment with potential biohazards present.
- Potential for exposure to agents known to cause zoonotic disease
in humans and use of potentially hazardous chemicals as defined by
the National Hazard Communication Standards. A complete list of
such chemicals is available from department supervision.
- Reliable and dependable attendance is an essential function of
the position. Adherence to attendance-related policies and
expectations is critical to this position.
Does this sound like the opportunity for you? Apply Today!
No unsolicited Employment Agency resumes are accepted.
Keywords: IDEXX Laboratories, Inc, Albany , Medical Laboratory Technician, Healthcare , Albany, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!