Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse
Company: The University of Vermont Health Network - Champla
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Medical-Surgical Registered Nurses work on our 3 Med-Surg Units
and in our Resource Pool. -Med/Surg Positions -The Registered
Professional Nurse is responsible for the management of patient
care, utilizing the nursing process to assess, plan, implement and
evaluate patient outcomes. The nurse directs and guides the
delivery of nursing care, patient education, and all care related
activities, while maintaining standards of professional nursing
collaborating with other disciplines as appropriate.
- Practices within the boundaries of the NYS Practice Act for
Registered Professional Nurses.
- Provides care according to CVPH Standards of Care and
- Provides nursing care to a patient by collecting data and
performing a functional health pattern/physical assessment when
patient is admitted, when a significant change in condition occurs,
upon transfer to/receiving from another unit, and/or every -
eight-hour shift; provides care to patient requiring
- Verifies and/or transcribes and implements physician
- Develops/Revises Plan of Care for patient to include measurable
outcome goals for various diagnosis, and discharge plans; includes
patient and/or family.
- Provides basic bedside care to include, but not limited to, bed
baths, mouth care and ADLs.
- Provides nursing care to patient requiring
monitoring/intervention with "Point of Care" testing, to include,
but not limited to, fingerstick blood samples for glucose and stool
specimens for occult blood as defined by CVPH.
- Provides care to a patient requiring input/output tubes/devices
such as but not limited to NG tubes, urinary drains, surgical
drains, and enteral feding tubes.
- Provides nursing care at the bedside utilizing such equipment
as, but not limited to, a Smart Pump, PCEA pump, PCA pump,
Auto-Transfusion device, Sequential Compression device, Feeding
Tube pump, splints, traction, or a CPM device; Follows
manufacturer's recommendations and CVPH guidelines.
- Provides nursing care to the patient requiring medication
administration (including controlled substance) by any route
following defined process for MAK); Utilizes the Pyxis system as
- Provides nursing care for the patient requiring blood/blood
product therapy to include collection and reinfusion of autologous
- Provides venipuncture and nursing care to the patient requiring
IV therapy to include various routes (e.g., peripheral, central),
methods (e.g., - continuous, intermittent, IVPB, IVP), and
solutions/medications (e.g., - TPN, PPN, lipid infusions, medicated
- Provides care using infection control practices as outlined in
Medical Center policies/procedures (e.g. Universal Standard
Precautions and Isolation Techniques).
- Provides nursing care to the patient and assistance to
physician, when invasive procedures are performed at the bed side;
procedures include but are not limited to lumbar puncture, chest
tube insertion, thoracentesis, liver biopsy, bone marrow
- Provides nursing care to patient receiving sedation
- Utilizes resource consultant services and resource teams as
approporiate (such as Foley Team, Rapid Response, chest
- Provides nursing care for the patient with a tracheostomy,
patient requiring suctioning (nasopharyngeal, oropharyngeal, or
tracheal), or patient with a chest tube.
- Provides nursing care for the patient requiring remote
telemetry and/or continuous SaO2 monitoring.
- Provides nursing care to the patient requiring restraints/
protective/ supportive devices.
- Provides care to identified safety risk patient (e.g.
wandering/elopement, seizure and suicide precautions, and fall or
- Demonstrates respect for the diversity of patient population
providing comprehensive holistic care for the dying patient,
including post mortem care and support of the patient's
- Provides nursing care for the patient requiring preventive skin
care, wound management, pressure ulcer prevention/treatment and
- Provides nursing care to the patient requiring various
respiratory therapy modalities such as oxygen therapy and use of
- Provides nursing care to the patient requiring anticoagulation
- Provides nursing care to the patient receiving chemotherapy,
external radiation therapy and internal radiation therapy
- Provides nursing care of the urological patient.
- Provides nursing care to the patient with End Stage Renal
Disease, to include continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis, or
pre/post hemodialysis care.
- Provides nursing care to the patient with a head injury,
craniotomy, spiral surgery or CVA.
- Provides nursing care to the orthopedic patient to include, but
not limited to total knee, total Hip, fracture of extremities, cast
care, skeletal traction or skin traction.
- Provides nursing care for the patient requiring pain management
(surgical, chronic and terminal) according to organization and unit
- Provides nursing care for the patient requiring specimens
- Provides nursing care for the patient requiring transfer to the
operating room or "procedural unit", transfer/admitted after an
invasive procedure; and transfer to another nursing unit.
- Provides prioritized patient/family education.
- Conducts hourly rounds as a team effort for assigned
- Performs in crisis/emergency (e.g. code 99, 66, Rapid Response,
FAST Alert) while maintaining a positive/ calm approach.
- Provides nursing care through utilization of the electronic
information system, (e.g, Order Entry for orders, retrieving of lab
- Advocates patient rights and demonstrates a working knowledge
of Advance Directive practices, organ donation and procurement as
evidenced by completion of documentation as outlined by CVPH
- Documents/communicates nursing care, physiological responses to
other health care providers through verbal reports and patient
record(s) as dictated by policy/guidelines; Reports to physician
changes/deviations from expected norm. - - -
- Maintains a safe environment in which to provide quality
- Provides leadership and measures effectiveness of nursing care
by providing supervision, delegation, monitoring/reassessment of
all patient care as required.
- Manages conflict/identifies ethical dilemmas and assists
patients and families in resolving.
- Supports fluctuation in patient care needs by floating when
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing; Bachelor of
Science in Nursing preferred.
- Currently licensed as a Registered Professional Nurse in New
- Meets requirements of physical/pre-placement screening.
- Completion of Cardiac Rhythm Course within nine (9) months. -As
applicable, the individual has training/competency in attending to
the special needs and/or behaviors appropriate to the age of the
patients for which care is being provided.
Keywords: The University of Vermont Health Network - Champla, Albany , Medical-Surgical Registered Nurse, Healthcare , Wilmington, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!