Registered Nurse (RN) Emergency Room
Company: The University of Vermont Health Network - Champla
Posted on: September 24, 2022
The Registered Professional Nurse is responsible for the
management of patient care, utilizing the nursing process to
assess, plan, implement and evaluate, and all care related
activities, while maintaining standards of professional nursing
collaborating with other disciplines as appropriate. -* If you are
a current CVPH staff member interested in opportunities in the ECC,
please reach out to the Recruitment Team at
- Practices within the boundaries of the NYS Practice Act for
Registered Professional Nurses and provides care according to CVPH
(generic & unit-specific) Standards of Care and Practice.
- Assesses patient by performing a functional health
pattern/physical assessment on all patients as indicated when
he/she is admitted, when a significant change in condition occurs,
upon transfer to/receiving from another unit, and as defined by
CVPH generic and unit-specific Patient Care Standards. - -
- Verifies and/or transcribes and implements physician
- Develops/Revises plan of care to include discharge plan that
prescribes nursing actions to achieve age-specific outcome goals
for the patient(s) with various diagnosis.
- Provides nursing care to the patient requiring
monitoring/intervention with "Point of Care Testing" (e.g.,
fingersticks, - stool/gastric testing), - patient care devices
(e.g., PCA, Gemini, suction apparatus), - input/output
tubes/devices (e.g., NG tubes, urinary drains, surgical drains,
enteral feeding tubes), and other such devices/treatments.
- Documents/communicates nursing care, physiological responses to
other health care providers through verbal reports and patient
record(s) as dictated by policy/guidelines; Reports to physician
changes/deviations from expected norm.
- Provides nursing care through utilization of the electronic
information system, (e.g, Order Entry for orders, retrieving of lab
- Provides leadership and measures effectiveness of nursing care
by providing supervision, delegation, monitoring/reassessment of
all patient care as required.
- Performs in crisis/emergency (e.g. code 99, 66) while
maintaining a positive/ calm approach.
- Provides prioritized patient/family education.
- Provides nursing care for the patient requiring pain management
(surgical, chronic and terminal) according to organization and unit
- Provides nursing care to the patient requiring medication
administration by the applicable routes to include controlled
substances; Utilizes the pyxis system as required.
- Provides nursing care for the patient requiring blood/blood
- Provides nursing care for the patient requiring preventive skin
care, wound management, pressure ulcer prevention/treatment and
- Provides nursing care to the patient requiring various
respiratory therapy modalities such as oxygen therapy and use of
- Provides nursing care for the patient with a tracheostomy
and/or requiring suctioning (nasopharyngeal, oropharyngeal, or
- Provides nursing care for the patient requiring specimens.
- Provides nursing care to the patient requiring restraints/
protective/ supportive devices, wandering/elopement, seizure and
suicide precautions, and the patient on fall protocol
- Demonstrates respect for the diversity of patient population
providing comprehensive holistic care for the dying patient,
including post mortem care and support of the patient's
- Provides nursing care to the patient requiring IV therapy to
include various routes (e.g., peripheral, central), methods (e.g.,
- continuous, intermittent, IVPB, IVP), and solutions/medications
(e.g., - TPN, PPN, lipid infusions, medicated drips).
- Provides nursing care for the patient requiring
procedures/interventions to include lumbar puncture, chest tube
insertion, thoracentesis, liver biopsy, bone marrow, etc, with or
without sedation (conscious sedation).
- Provides care using infection control practices as outlined in
Medical Center policies/procedures (e.g. Universal Standard
Precautions and Isolation Techniques).
- Advocates patient rights and demonstrates a working knowledge
of Advance Directive practices, organ donation and procurement as
evidenced by completion of documentation as outlined by CVPH
- Manages conflict/identifies ethical dilemmas and assists
patients and families in resolving
- Supports fluctuation in patient care needs by floating/overtime
- Demonstrates the ability to triage patient correctly and
according to ENA and hospital standards, assigns acuity and
prioritizes ones in which patients are seen by the physician.
- Initiates and demonstrates a working knowledge of Advanced
- Performs rapid initial assessment and provides nursing care for
the trauma patient according to ENA/TNCC Guidelines.
- Provides nursing care for patients requiring poison control
- Provides nursing care for the patient requiring cardiac care
according to ACLS Guidelines to include performing rTPA,
Streptokinase Protocols and Retavase.
- Provides nursing care for the neurological patient requiring
halo application and/or high dose methylprednisolone.
- Provides nursing care of the obstetric patient presenting with
complications and/or imminent delivery.
- Provides nursing care for the pediatric patients according to
PALS and ENPC Guidelines.
- Performs mandated reporting to include suspicion of child
abuse, elderly abuse, burns, immunizations, lead screening
deficiencies, and early intervention candidates and reports violent
crimes, injuries, accidents to law enforcement agents when
- Demonstrates an understanding and makes decisions during a
Disaster Drill based on hospital policy and guidelines relative to
- Screens all females 14 years of age or older for possibility of
- Other duties assigned.
- Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing required.
- Currently licensed as a Registered Professional Nurse in New
York State required.
- Must be able to pass Critical Care Exam/Emergency Care Exam
within one month of employment or have current CEN
- Past Emergency Care Center experience preferred. -
- One year past experience as an RN, telemetry experience
- Must meet requirements of physical/pre-placement
- Demonstrates communication, organizational, and customer
- BLS or ACLS required with ACLS certification within 12 months
- ENPC or PALS within the first year of hire.
- TNCC within two years of hire.As applicable, the individual has
training/competency in attending to the special needs and/or
behaviors appropriate to the age of the patients for which care is
being provided. -Will be required to work all areas of Emergency
Keywords: The University of Vermont Health Network - Champla, Albany , Registered Nurse (RN) Emergency Room, Healthcare , Champlain, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!