Field Service Engineer II
Company: Carl Zeiss Vision
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Field Service Engineer II
Step out of your comfort zone, excel and redefine the limits of
what is possible. That's just what our employees are doing every
single day - in order to set the pace through our innovations and
enable outstanding achievements. After all, behind every successful
company are many great fascinating people.
The Field Service Engineer Level 2 is an intermediate level
field service position that has met the FSE Level 1 requirements
and necessitates frequent use and general knowledge of industry
practices, techniques, and standards required to install, service
and maintain assigned systems. Success in this role requires a
solid understanding of the theory, application and technical
workings of all required equipment and an ability to work
independently on them in a customer setting. Success requires the
ability to support a given account base, retain contract customers,
complete PMs on time, and perform administrative duties accurately
and timely. Level 2 CSEs must utilize their training to effectively
diagnose and troubleshoot issues they encounter in the field.
Effective and efficient troubleshooting is imperative in this role.
Level 2 FSEs are expected to escalate quickly and via the
appropriate process when customers complain or when technical
support is required to resolve a challenging issue. This is a
customer-facing role and therefore strong interpersonal skills and
an ability to communicate effectively are required to be
successful. Excellent time management skills are a must in order to
be an effective efficient Field Service Engineer. As the level of
proficiency increases, highly performing Level 2 FSEs may be asked
to assist Level 1 FSEs.
We are looking for people who are keen to try something new:
- Provide industry-leading installation services for new
equipment with an attention to detail, a high standard for system
performance and a professional hand-off to the customer.
- Independently troubleshoot and successfully diagnose issues on
assigned equipment quickly and accurately so that a repair can
happen within a single visit.
- Confirm all SVOs within 24 hours of finishing the work
following all procedures and guidelines for spare parts and time
- Provide accurate and detailed as requested for billable
quotations within 24 hours.
- Complete all PMs for contract customers within 90 days of SVO
assignment using proper checklists and documentation which must be
shared with the customer.
- Escalate any unresolved issue using the appropriate process
quickly to ensure customer satisfaction and rapid resolution.
- Educate customers on possible upgrades and accessories to
improve the capabilities of their equipment and pass any and all
leads to the proper channels.
- Connect all available systems to the ZEISS Predictive Service
- Conduct special site or system environmental analysis tests as
assigned by management.
- Train customers on basic system operation and maintenance using
- Properly care for all ZEISS tools and assets as may be made
available during the execution of assigned responsibilities.
- Return spares parts within 1 week and manage individual Stock
on Memo (SOM) account in an accurate and timely fashion.
- Successful completion of all assigned technical training to
acquire a thorough knowledge of assigned company equipment. This
includes completing all required pre-reading assignments before all
classroom courses, independently studying all materials and passing
the courses to the satisfaction of the instructors.
- Actively engages in personal development (leverages the content
available on the ZEISS CurioZ online training portal, as well as
self-inspired development of knowledge as it relates to the
- Responsible for your personal safety when visiting labs and
institutions by understanding the basics of lab behavior and an
awareness of risks
- Respect, live and share with internal and external customers,
the ZEISS values.
- Other duties as assigned by manager
- 4-year degree or technical certificate in technical/scientific
discipline, related military electronics experience or an
equivalent combination of training and experience such as 3+ years
direct experience building, maintaining, installing, and/or
repairing similarly complex automated electromechanical
- Sound knowledge and understanding of Laboratory Safety
requirements for BSL 1, 2, and 3 environments, as well as specimen
handling of Level 3 (and below) pathogenic biohazards (e.g.,
bacteria, viruses, fungi, parasites, and prions)
- Ability to understand and troubleshoot problems in software,
electronics, optics and electron optics, high voltage, high vacuum,
mechanical, and electro-mechanical systems
- Knowledge of Windows operating environments and word processing
and or email applications. Familiarity with databases or CRM
Systems a plus.
- Ability to read and understand electrical or mechanical
engineering documentation and schematics.
- Proven ability to work successfully as an individual
contributor or as part of a team.
- Good communication skills, able to converse readily in English,
both verbally and in writing. (German a plus.)
- Good administrative and time management skills
- Capable and willing to engage customers in their
workspace/environment, including BSL -2 and BSL-3 facilities. If
capable and willing, may be asked to engage in a BSL-4
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and overseas. In
addition to service function, may asked to work in assigned teams
on defined projects as directed by management. Lifting of heavy
equipment crates required; crate weight ~ 75 lbs. Must have driving
record in good standing, a valid U.S. driver license, and be able
to drive a company provided car/van.
- Frequent overnight travel, domestic and international (average
- Able to obtain corporate credit card
- Participation of six months to one-year of formal training as a
Field Service Engineer and proficiently maintains all duties and
In a spacious modern setting full of opportunities for further
development, ZEISS employees work in a place where expert knowledge
and team spirit reign supreme. All of this is supported by a
special ownership structure and the long-term goal of the Carl
Zeiss Foundation: to bring science and society into the future
Join us today. Inspire people tomorrow.
Diversity is a part of ZEISS. We look forward to receiving your
application regardless of gender, nationality, ethnic and social
origin, religion, philosophy of life, disability, age, sexual
orientation or identity.
Apply now! It takes less than 10 minutes.
Keywords: Carl Zeiss Vision, Albany , Field Service Engineer II, Other , Maryland, New York
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!