Requisition No: 352242
Agency: Department of Corrections
Working Title: FDC-Special Education Teacher - 70018019 -
JACKSON CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION, MALONE, FL
Position Number: 70018019
Salary: $ 32,696.82
Posting Closing Date: 06/12/2021
- OPEN COMPETITIVE ADVERTISEMENT*
Special Education Teacher - 70018019
This advertisement is for a Career Service position located at
Jackson Correctional institution in the Education Department.
Salary Rate: $32,696.82 annually
SALARY WILL BE DETERMINED IN ACCORDANCE WITH CURRENT PAY
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
The incumbent in this position is responsible for teaching
assigned academic subjects to special education students at
correctional institution/facility. Duties include, but are not
limited to the following:
- Provides consultative and direct services to students,
teachers, job supervisors, and other staff, as needed, to monitor
implementation of the Transition Plan/Individual Education Plan and
discusses/devises methods and modifications to meet individual
- Conducts staffing and develops Transition Plan/Individual
Education Plans for verified special education inmates.
- Conducts transition planning and makes referrals. This includes
liaison and coordination with institutional psychological, medical,
and classification staff.
- Conducts re-evaluation assessments on inmates and/or arranges
for appropriate testing.
- Counsels and advises individuals regarding their progress,
behavior, or personal concerns.
- Participates in staff meetings, seminars, and workshops to
identify needed curriculum changes and to facilitate professional
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Skills in teaching others how to do something.
- Skills in actively looking for ways to help people.
- Knowledge of instructional methods and training techniques
including curriculum design principles, learning theory, group and
individual teaching techniques, design of individual development
plans and test design principles.
- Knowledge of information and techniques needed to rehabilitate
physical and mental ailments and to provide career guidance
including alternative treatments, rehabilitation equipment and its
proper use, and methods to evaluate treatment effects.
- Knowledge of human behavior and performance, mental processes,
psychological research methods, and the assessment and treatment of
behavioral and affective disorders.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language
including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition,
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer
and personal services including needs assessment techniques,
quality service standards, alternative delivery systems, and
customer satisfaction evaluation techniques.
- Skills in using multiple approaches when learning or teaching
- Skills in talking to others to effectively convey
- Skills in being aware of others' reactions and understanding
why they react the way they do.
- Skills in developing approaches for implementing an idea.
- Skills in assessing how well one is doing when learning or
- Skills in listening to what other people are saying and asking
questions as appropriate.
- Skills in understanding written sentences and paragraphs in
work related documents.
- Skills in communicating effectively with others in writing as
indicated by the needs of the audience.
- Skills in adjusting actions in relation to others'
- Skills in motivating, developing, and directing people as they
work, identifying the best people for the job.
- Ability to create Microsoft Word documents.
- Ability to make entries and maintain Excel spreadsheets.
Please note, when submitting a college/university degree, if
selected for this position official transcripts will be
- Must possess or be eligible to apply for State of Florida
Educator's Certificate. Educator certification must be obtained
within 12 months of hire date and certification must be maintained
to remain in the class in accordance with FDC Procedure 501.103 and
944.801(3)(k), F.S. A special education certification subject area
(ESE, Speech-Language Impaired, Visually Impaired or comparable
disability coverage area) must be obtained within 36 months of hire
date in order to remain in class.
- Must possess a Bachelor's degree form an accredited college or
Support of knowledge, skills, and abilities should be
demonstrated on the application, in the education, in the work
experience, in the work sample, in the interview and/or during
If you are interested in this position and meet the above
indicated qualification and have the desired education, knowledge
and experience, please submit a State of Florida Application and
resume through the People First system. If you experience problems
applying on-line, please call the People First Service Center at
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the closing
The State of Florida is an Equal Opportunity
Employer/Affirmative Action Employer, and does not tolerate
discrimination or violence in the workplace.
Candidates requiring a reasonable accommodation, as defined by
the Americans with Disabilities Act, must notify the agency hiring
authority and/or People First Service Center (1-866-663-4735).
Notification to the hiring authority must be made in advance to
allow sufficient time to provide the accommodation.
The State of Florida supports a Drug-Free workplace. All
employees are subject to reasonable suspicion drug testing in
accordance with Section 112.0455, F.S., Drug-Free Workplace
VETERANS' PREFERENCE. Pursuant to Chapter 295, Florida Statutes,
candidates eligible for Veterans' Preference will receive
preference in employment for Career Service vacancies and are
encouraged to apply. Candidates claiming Veterans' Preference must
attach supporting documentation with each submission that includes
character of service (for example, DD Form 214 Member Copy #4)
along with any other documentation as required by Rule 55A-7,
Florida Administrative Code. Veterans' Preference documentation
requirements are available by clicking here. All documentation is
due by the close of the vacancy announcement.
Nearest Major Market: Panama City